Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Psychology of Typography

A recent article on PRdaily entitled What Your Organization’s Font Choices Say About Your Brand caught my attention. We all know colors can influence a consumer’s purchasing decision, but I never really considered typography as another factor. The fonts used have an influence on the feelings customers associate with the brand.

The fonts organizations choose to use on their websites and in their logos have the potential to persuade or even dissuade someone to do business with them. People tend to judge your business by the fonts used because there are feelings associated with certain typefaces and other elements of typography. This information is available from RCM Website Design’s recent infographic. I have included this infographic in my blog to give you an idea of the psychology involved in typography.

According to the infographic, these are the typical views people have for certain fonts:
  • Serif fonts: These fonts are best for print and are considered warm, old, expensive and beautiful.
  • Sans-serif fonts: People typically see these fonts as informal, playful, cool and youthful. Sans-serif fonts are best suited for digital use.
  • Script fonts (resemble handwriting): People often use these fonts for formal invitation. These fonts seem delicate, feminine and happy.
I found the psychology that accompanies typography very interesting. What organizations do you think of that uphold these typical views of fonts?


1 comment:

  1. Hannah, I took an entire course dedicated to typography for my design minor, and it has greatly influenced my choice of fonts. I even get mad when a company poorly chooses a typeface, and I tend to favor brands that make smart choices in design. Overall, any company that practices good design will have a greater chance at success. Just take a look at Apple and you will see how much of an impact design has on a brand.

    ReplyDelete