Thursday, December 4, 2014

What I Wish I Would Have Known

I was recently required to write a short paper discussing what I wish I would have known as a freshman here at Ohio Northern University. Instead of sharing my spiel about only focusing on a few organizations you are truly passionate about and allowing yourself to strengthen your talents, I want to talk about some other things I wish I would’ve known as a freshman:
  1. Don’t be afraid to meet new people. I have always been an introverted person and it’s often difficult for me to open up and get to know new people. I wish I would have known that meeting new people would require me to step outside of my comfort zone and take the first steps as a freshman. I often sat back and did not introduce myself or make an effort to get to know people. I know I missed out on some great friendships by doing this. Now, I am still introverted. The difference is I force myself to get to know people because I value relationships with others, regardless of how uncomfortable it might make me during the first introduction.
  2. It’s OK to not get an A. I knew college would be more challenging than high school, but I was not prepared for the harsh grading. When I got my first C back on an assignment, I cried. I thought I was a failure and I was going to have to drop the class. That was freshman year. Now in my junior year, I know I am extremely lucky to even get a C in some of my difficult classes. It’s OK and normal not to get straight A’s in college. Don’t get too hung up on the lower grades. They do not mean you are insufficient or a bad student. These grades either mean study harder next time OR your professor is crazy difficult and the only thing you can do is suck it up and do your very best.
  3. People will judge you. If you thought high school was bad, you are in for a real treat! If you didn’t catch the sarcasm in my last comment, then prepare yourself for disappointing maturity levels and caddy people who only care about themselves. Don’t get me wrong, I have made plenty of friends who do not fit this explanation at all. It’s important for you to find these kind of friends because they are the ones who will help you get through the rest of the drama you desperately tried to avoid. Some people will not like you. Some people will lie and make rumors up about you. People will do whatever they can to tear you down and humiliate you. Be the better person and show them you came to college to grow and learn. Show your maturity level is higher. Don’t let the lies and judgments get to you because at the end of the day, you know who you are and that’s the most important.
  4. Take time for yourself. College is stressful and exhausting. Don’t let the constant homework, studying and activities keep you from enjoying your time here. A bit of free time for yourself is absolutely necessary in order to survive your college years. You have a paper due next week? Do a little bit at a time. Take some of the day to relax and watch Netflix. Take a walk outside or go to an event on campus with your friends. God forbid you have some fun during the best days of your life! Go have a drink at the bar with friends (if you’re 21). Watch a movie with your roommate you hardly ever see. Take a road trip to Lima to get real food with a group of your friends from your major! The paper you have due next week can wait; time for yourself cannot.
  5. Loss is a constant. I’m not talking about actually losing someone who has died, although this is something I have had to deal with during my time here at ONU. What I really am talking about is the constant stream of your friends graduating and moving on to bigger and better things in life. I have always been someone who befriends the upperclassmen. It might be the maturity level, but I find myself getting along better with them. When graduation comes around each year, it’s extremely difficult for me. I’m extremely happy for my friends. They are graduating and growing up, but it’s hard to see them leaving me behind. I wonder if I will ever see them again or if our friendship will fade after our time together at ONU. This loss is hard to deal with, so try to stay in contact with the friends you have made. If you show you want to be a part in their life even after they have graduated, then they are sure to do the same.
These are just a few things I wish I would have known as a freshman. Everyone says college is hard. Yes, the classes are hard. Yes, it’s hard to force yourself to get out of bed and go to class each day. It’s hard to turn Netflix off and do your homework. What people tend to leave out is it’s hard to form these close relationships with new friends at such an important time in your life and learning to let them go and accomplish their own dreams after graduation is not easy.


6 comments:

  1. Hannah, I also wish I would have known that it's okay with not getting an A when I was a freshman. I really underestimated how hard college would be. Now I know it's all about the effort you put into the class and what you take away from it to help in your future career. Always good to reflect on these four years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I agree with each of your above statements. I also wish I would have done these things. As for the last one, don't worry so much. Graduation is always hard but when you make the forever kind of friendships, those people will still see you after graduation. I know Mariah and I will come back very often to visit you and take you out after a hard exam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah it is as if you are speaking to my soul. Each of these is me in a nutshell. Especially the first point, I am extremely introverted. It is not that I do not enjoy people, it is that I like time to myself. A lot of time to myself actually and I always make some excuse not to meet people and invest time in them because I think they either won't like me or I cannot give them the time commitment they deserve. I am trying to improve but it is still a hard thing for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! You shared some great insight and I agree with each of the points that you make. It is crazy how much things can change throughout college, especially in that transition from high school to your freshman year of college. I definitely wish I knew some of these examples my freshman year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, love all of this except Netflix is life. But anyways when it comes to all of these recommendations you should definitely put this up for upcoming freshman to see next year. I remember my first F and it was college algebra. I said wait I'm good at math what happened. Then I got over it because I knew I was fine. But I definitely would of rather had this list freshman year also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make some great points, Hannah. Maybe this could be printed and given to all incoming freshman as a guide and used for encouragement. I like how you focused on all aspects of college life and not just academics. It is necessary to try and meet new people and enjoy yourself, otherwise it's not possible to get the most out of the college experience. In my opinion, college is great, as long as people recognize the opportunity given to them.

    ReplyDelete