Monday, September 8, 2014

Branches Concert

I spent my Saturday helping setup for the Student Planning Committee concert. Branches, a folk band from California, came to share their unique music with Ohio Northern University’s campus on Saturday evening.

As an event coordinator in SPC, I am responsible for setting up and tearing down large events such as this. Beginning at 4 p.m., I met a group of SPC members on the Tundra to begin setting up for an enjoyable show. I helped string lights along the outer edges of the grassy concert area, setup the stage for the band, gather the concessions for the concert attendees and enjoyed free pizza for my help!

When the band came for sound check, I was thrilled to hear some of their music. My favorite genre of music is Indie-folk, so Branches was exactly what I wanted to hear. The coolest part about this night was getting to talk with the band members. They were corky, fun and extremely entertaining.


Talking with the band made me wonder about all of the musicians who struggle to make it to the desired level of fame and fortune. Branches did not seem like they wanted to share their music for fame and fortune. This band is a group of fun people who just want to share their music. They happen to be amazing at what they do.


I am grateful to have the opportunity to be in an organization such as SPC. I love spending time with my friends in SPC and helping see an event through from beginning to end. Meeting incredible people along the way is also a plus. Without my involvement in SPC at ONU, I think I would be missing a piece of myself. I feel like I can be the real me and use my talents to help others. SPC gives me the excitement I need to look forward to future events and enjoy my time on campus.





3 comments:

  1. I obviously loved reading this post! I am so excited to see your passion and excitiement for SPC. You were a huge help with Branches and SPC greatly values your leadership and talents. I think it is neat how you picked up on the integrity of the band and how they truly want to share their talents and music with the world. Also, you greatly helped out the band with all the merchndise you bought :) I am so glad you loved the concert and I cannot wait to spend this year with you creating lasting memories through our events!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I was unable to attend the event, I could hear the music all the way from my house by the Wilson Football Factory! I did go to a similar event last year and it was great! I think it's awesome that we have a SPC and how passionate you all are about bringing great events to campus. I'm hoping I'll be able to go to the Harry Potter event on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, I attended the Branches concert, and I thought that the whole event was very well done. While some of my friends were ignorant to the planning that goes into organizing and executing an event like this concert, I couldn't help but be aware of all the hard work that must have gone into it. You are an excellent leader, and I think it's great to hear that you enjoyed your experience helping to setup this event with SPC. The world needs more people that love doing event planning like you do! Keep up the great work! ( :

    ReplyDelete