Friday, September 26, 2014

Say Hello to the New "Ello"

Have you heard about Ello yet? Ello is the new, ad-free social network capitalizing on the perception that it is the “anti-Facebook”. Still in beta, this platform is an invite-only site that is quickly growing. As the features continue to be developed, the number of users increases as well. 

Ello wants users to feel more like people and less like data points, allowing anyone to join as long as they follow the basic outlined rules. The rules are basic, including no bestiality, no impersonating of public figures, etc. All you need to join is an invite from a friend and an email address.

Ello does not ask for your name, gender or sexual orientation. If you follow the rules, you are welcome on the platform. Instead of advertising like other social media platforms, Ello will upsell special features to their Ello users to help customize their experience.


Why is this so much more attractive than Facebook? Ello wants users to feel welcome and avoid the biases that often come with a stated name, gender or even sexual orientation. Instead, you are able to customize your profile how you want. You can share what you want to share and you do not have to sit through numerous advertisements in order to do so. 

Ello continues to grow and soon, it could become one of the preferred social media platforms next to Facebook and Twitter. Sounds promising, but I'm not sure I am sold yet. Are you?


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm not sold at all. I'm not really big into social media anyway. I mean I use it somewhat regularly, but I don't tweet 20 times a day and continuously post Facebook statuses. This "ello" thing just sounds like kind of a rip-off of Facebook with a few things changed to appeal to certain people. Plus, I think part of the appeal of Facebook is to be yourself, not a "data point." I disagree with that because the reason Facebook asks for that information (aside for marketing and money purposes probably) is so you can customize your profile to the fullest extent to who you are. Heck, there's two pictures on your profile page, and there's like 32 different relationship status choices. I'm not sold, but that doesn't mean it won't be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure if I am sold but I am intrigued. When it comes out I will probably get one just to see what it is like to be on the platform. I am interested on how social media platforms capitalize on what could be construed as a "mistake" by other platforms like what Ello is doing with Facebook. I will definitely tune in to see if the "unbiased" idea and "more customizable" look will draw people towards the platform. Good find Hannah!

    ReplyDelete