Monday, September 29, 2014

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Toledo. My sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha, volunteers each year at the survivor’s tent. We help setup, teardown and run the tent in the morning as survivors gather to socialize and celebrate the annual run.

This year was my first year volunteering. I woke up at 3 a.m. and drove with a small group of sisters to help at the race. Waking up before the rest of the world is always challenging, especially when you are required to be a functioning human being! We were put to work immediately when we arrived.

The streets of Toledo were packed with runners and supporters as they gathered before the race began. I met a lot of breast cancer survivors and the large groups of their supporters. It was amazing to see such large support systems there for individuals fighting the fight. It touched my heart to hear the stories and see the kindness from each person entering the survivor’s tent.

At the end of the race, myself and other ZTA’s stood on the side of the street to hand carnations to survivors that completed the race. The survivor’s wore pink shirts to help them stand out in the crowd. The survivors were overjoyed with us for volunteering and cheering them on. I had strangers crying to me about how appreciative they were and even received a few hugs.


This race was an amazing experience for me. I was shocked by the support and commemorative crowds of people who gave their time on an early Sunday morning to support the fight against breast cancer. I can't wait to volunteer again next year!

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I'm so glad you got to experience a Race for the Cure! The races are one of my highlights of college. I also admit to crying at every race under my sunglasses. It is amazing to see how strong and positive the women are after knowing what they have been through in their lifetime. I'm glad we are in a sorority that supports our cause as much as possible and reminds us to stay humble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I am so glad you finally got to experience one of the Race for the Cure races. I got to attend two years ago but could not make it this year. The benefits of going to this race and seeing all of the survivors are endless. It is one of the most rewarding things you will do in your lifetime.

    ReplyDelete