Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Grateful Heart

As Thanksgiving approaches, I would like to blog about something I agree with wholeheartedly. JFK had it right when he said this: “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” We express gratitude on Thanksgiving to our closest friends and family through the words we speak on this special holiday. If this is the only time we are expressing our gratitude, I do not think it can be considered as true gratitude.


To give thanks, we must live by the words we utter on a daily basis. We all have a purpose in life. If we are not willing to fulfill our purpose and express our gratitude to those who help us along the way, the difficult roads we endure are going to be even more challenging in the days to come.

I find myself saying thank you in abundance. It might annoy some people if they think I am not being sincere, but I was raised to thank those who have done something for me and to appreciate everything I have. The old saying about “you are what you do, not what you say you’ll do” is completely true. If you want to show true gratitude, don’t wait until a holiday to show it. Live it on a daily basis. Don’t make people question whether your sentiment is real, prove to them that it is.



I love holidays as much as the next person, but you won’t see me waiting around until Thanksgiving to show my gratitude for others. I like to live my live in gratitude to others. I know I wouldn’t make it a single day without the support and love from my friends, family and many others. Show your gratitude to these people instead of just telling them. Your words will mean more if your actions match them.



1 comment:

  1. Hannah,
    I think this is beautifully written. I could not agree more that we should express our gratitude and thankfulness all year, instead of just on Thanksgiving. I have noticed how much I value my family since I began college and don't see them often. Showing my gratitude and thankfulness to my family is so important to me. That is why I do love Thanksgiving because it is a time I can gather with my entire family and enjoy each others presence. I should really strive to live more like you and never take anyone for granted and always show gratitude!

    ReplyDelete