Thursday, October 30, 2014

Too Much Caffeine? That's a Thing?

As a PR major, my caffeine intake increases as the semester goes on. You’ll see me with a large mug of coffee during my late nights of cramming for an exam or writing a paper before the deadline the next morning. I drink multiple cups of coffee each morning to help me make it through my classes and the rest of the day. Coffee is my source of life.


PR friends, beware. Did you know it is possible to suffer from caffeine intoxication? According to Livestrong.com, “the signs and symptoms of caffeine intoxication vary, depending on the individual and how much caffeine is ingested. Caffeine is a stimulant, and its greatest effect is on the brain.” Drinking too much coffee can contribute to feelings of restlessness, nervousness, excitement and insomnia. In addition, incoherent flow of thought and speech, periods of inexhaustibility and agitation are also common when there is too much caffeine in the system.


I know when I drink too much coffee, I feel shaky and I get stomach pains. The distress or impaired function associated with the consumption of caffeine should be taken seriously: “Caffeine intoxication can lead to potentially life-threatening signs and symptoms, such as irregular heartbeat, severe electrolyte imbalances and seizures. Immediate medical evaluation and treatment are needed in these situations” (Livestrong.com).



It is possible for a person to die from too much caffeine intake, but this threat is highly unlikely. Unless you were to consume approximately 140 cups of coffee in one day, your life would not be at risk. I never really took the symptoms from too much coffee consumption seriously, but I just might now that I have a better understanding of the risks of too much caffeine intake. Caffeine intoxication is a real thing and I suspect the rest of my PR friends experience some of these symptoms due to our high intake of caffeine to help us make it through the long nights of studying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment