Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I'm Not Graceful

My name, Hannah, means grace. Why my parents named me something slightly resembling graceful is unclear to me because I am the clumsiest and most accident-prone person you will ever meet. I run into things, trip over nonexistent objects, lose everything and make plenty of messes along the way. My parents will sarcastically call me “Grace” if I show signs of my ungraceful abilities.

This morning, I woke up and showered before class. My favorite part of my morning is my cup of coffee. I turn on my coffee maker before I take my shower and my coffee is ready for me after. I sat down at my desk, eager to drink my warm cup of coffee and finish getting ready for my 9 a.m. class.

On my desk, you will find an assortment of items. On this particular morning, I would like to give you a detailed list of the items you would find: my laptop, phone, important notes, letters from family members and my boyfriend, checks for reimbursements or payment to an organization, important documents detailing my grades from studying broad and various cosmetics. The reason why I am giving details on these important items will become evident if you continue to read (which you should because it’s slightly humorous).

As I said before, I love having my coffee in the morning. Sometimes, I might get a little too excited while reaching for that warm cup of coffee and my clumsiness kicks in. Today, I knocked over my cup of coffee, spilling the entire mug across my desk. If you remember the detailed list of items found on my desk this morning, then you might understand why this was such a disaster. Just take a second to picture my uncoordinated response. I immediately grabbed my laptop before the coffee could reach the most expensive item and set it out of harms way. Then, I grabbed my iPhone as it began to collect a puddle of coffee underneath. I tore off the phone case and dried the coffee off as quickly as I could before it caused any damage.

After assessing the remaining damage, I finally placed the coffee cup right side up, which might have been a better decision earlier on in this debacle. My important notes, letters, checks and transcripts were completely submerged in coffee puddles. The open foundation bottle from my cosmetics had been knocked over as well during my quick reaction and this puddle was beginning to submerge the rest of my cosmetics. I removed all of the important items from my desk to dry on towels covering my floor and began to clean the mixture of coffee and foundation puddles off of my desk. The clothing I was planning on wearing was covered in coffee splatter and it was necessary for me to change.


Surprisingly, I wasn’t late to class after this chaotic morning. I’m sure you got a kick out of this clumsy occurrence. Just another day in the life of Grace… I mean Hannah.


No comments:

Post a Comment